Arisaig · Inverness-shire
Borrodale is a handsome, substantial three storey Highland house. Its category B listing describes it as late 18th and early 19th century building incorporating an earlier fabric with minor alternations in 1864.
Borrodale House Few parts of the western Highlands have a closer association with the Jacobite cause than Borrodale. It was at Borrodale Bay that Charles Edward Stuart, 'Bonnie Prince Charlie', first set foot on the Scottish mainland on 25 July 1745. Borrodale House, then owned by Clanranald and let to Angus MacDonald of Borrodale, served both as his headquarters and his living accommodation whilst he was canvassing the support of local clansmen. It was from here that he left for Moidart and the Raising of the Standard at Glenfinnan on 19 August 1745. A year later the Prince, fleeing from the forces of King George, returned briefly to Borrodale. Lady Catriona MacDonald of Borrodale gave him one of her plaids. This garment was subsequently divided into pieces as mementos of the Stuart cause; one such piece is now displayed in the Highland Museum in Fort William. Prince Charles embarked from a bay on the loch, some two miles east of Borrodale on a ship bound for France. The original house was burnt down in 1746. It is a 10 minute walk along a sweeping pasture to the shores of Loch nan Uamh. From the beach, the view to the east is to the head of the loch and the West Highland Railway viaduct, to the west Ardnamurchan Point. The area offers plenty of opportunities for hiking, fishing, boat trips, golf, etc. Directions By road - on the A830 about 30 miles from Fort William, three quarters of a mile past Beasdale station on the left. By rail - get off at Beasdale station (request stop) on the Fort William to Mallaig line.
Rooms & Tariffs
Borradale House can sleep group of up to 16 persons.
Prices from £1700 to £2800 per week
Extras: Electricity as cost per meter reading. Telephone calls at cost. £20 charge per dog.
Refundable good housekeeping deposit of £250 required at time of let.