We like to keep our area looking beautiful. What we ask is that you work with us to ensure a memorable experience for all that come and visit us on the Road to the Isles.
We love our area and welcome all who visit, but please could we ask that you treat the natural surroundings with the respect it deserves. For your safety and that of others please pledge to travel responsibly whilst visiting the Road to the Isles.
We welcome visitors all year, however some of our amenities have seasonal opening or limited winter hours. Please keep this in mind when planning your route.
- Please take ALL rubbish with you. Refuse collection are limited due to our rural location, please take your waste home with you.
- Explore new places but leave them as you found them. No litter should be left on our beaches or picnic areas.
- No fouling in public places
- No overnight parking or camping in areas that could in ANY way obstruct public safety. Make sure our fire engine, police and ambulance service can get passed. Be especially mindful on narrow roads.
- Park in designated parking spaces ONLY in and around our villages.
- NEVER drop litter
- Be prepared for all weather
- Take pictures and share them with the world BUT make sure you are in a safe place to capture them. (There are lots of designated viewing points) #roadtotheisles #wcw2020 #westisbest
Listed below are the public toilets, refuse and recycling locations available in our area. Please note we only have weekly bin collections and in peak season bins get filled fast. To assist us with waste management, please consider if you could take items home or perhaps drop off at larger bins or recycling centres located in Fort William.
Mallaig - Public toilets are located in the Mallaig & Morar Community Centre. Positioned a short walk from the train station and ferry terminal. A recycle station can be found at the back of the centre and to the right of the car park facilities.
Morar - Public toilets are Located at Silversands - Triagh Beach and are open April - Sept only. A recycle station is available at the back left hand side of the Morar Hotel car park, opposite the train station.
Arisaig - Public toilets located in the centre of the village near the Spar shop. Recycling of glass is available near the public toilets in the centre of the village. If you find the bins or glass recycling station full do not leave items at the side of the bins. Please take them with you to dispose at another suitable location. Leaving it at the roadside is hazardous to pedestrians and road users.
Lochailort - No public toilets. Lochailort Inn has toilets for customers only.
Glenfinnan - No public toilets. Glenfinnan visitors Centre has toilets and non-visitors can use the toilets for a small fee (approx. 20p)
The Small Isles - Toilets are available in the community halls.
Petrol Stations - Two fuel stations are located in Mallaig and Morar. Opening hours are displayed at the premises. Johnston Bros is located in Mallaig village, just off the main roundabout. Call 01687 462215. Open 7 days per week.
Morar Motors is located in Morar Village and is signposted from the A830, it has a fuel station for diesel only, repairs garage, car hire and 24hr emergency breakdown service. (note Morar Motors fuel station is not open at weekends) however the 24hr breakdown service can be reached on 01687 462118.
Car Hire - Morar Motors offer a range of vehicles for hire from two locations - Morar & Kyle of Lochalsh - Call 01687 462118 or email [email protected]